THE GIFT OF FEAR
This article is my reflection on a book called "The Gift Of Fear: And Other Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence".
Every individual being is gifted with a unique set of skills. These singular blessings have the creative potential to empower a person and contribute to the evolution of our species. There's one ubiquitous attribute which we've all been endowed with and that is, the gift of fear. Another way to look at it is, the gift of instinct or intuition.
In self defense, it's not form, technique, style, or execution that is the most important thing to consider but rather, situational awareness that is the vital components to be accounted for first and foremost. With calm and clear mindfulness, a trained sensitivity to the surroundings will illuminate any clues that we should take notice of. With even just a little experience and practice of opening up our sensory gating channels, the gift of intuition and instinct will naturally single out any sound, sight or smell that possesses any warranted need for fear. This is perhaps the greatest gift. A broad spectrum feeling sense which creates a state of dynamic self defense.
Self defense is our personal responsibility and doesn't have to dominate our consciousness. Consider our immune systems (including all other life forms: animals, plants, fungi, bacteria); these subtle nerve impulses are automated processes of intelligent self defense strategies that constantly scan for threats to the host system. Wear a seat belt while driving? Self defense.
One thing I learned through studying music, as a trained musician, is how to elevate my senses above the base level, to hear and feel everyone playing at once. Don’t just listen to one instrument, listen to the whole orchestra. That's a lesson in situational awareness.
I believe we have everything we need in order to thrive. I encourage you to read this book and share it your loved ones. It could save your life. Knowing how to fight is the least important skill in escalating situations....until it is. So, arm yourself with not only the knowledge, but the wisdom to proactively and effectively protect and serve yourself and loved ones.
In "The Gift of Fear", De Becker draws on his extensive expertise to explode the myth that most violent acts are random and unpredictable and shows that they usually have discernible motives and are preceded by clear warning signs. Through dozens of compelling stories from his own career and life, he unravels the complexities of violent behavior and details the pre-incident indicators (PINs) that can determine if someone poses a danger to us.
Readers learn how to:
- Recognize the survival signals that warn us about risk from strangers.
- Rely on their intuition.
- Separate real from imagined danger.
- Predict Dangerous Behavior.
- Evaluate whether someone will use violence.
- Move beyond denial so that their intuition works for them.
- Offering in-depth solutions to people who are dealing with domestic abuse or workplace violence or who are the targets of unwanted pursuit, de Becker also provides unique insight into death threats, stalkers, assassins, children who kill, and mass killers.
The Gift of Fear is an important book about human behavior, one which has left millions of readers stronger and safer. After reading The Gift of Fear, individuals will be able to confidently answer life’s highest-stakes questions:
- Will the employee I must fire react violently?
- How should I handle the person who refuses to let go?
- What is the best way to respond to threats?
- What are the dangers posed by strangers?
- How can I help my loved ones be safer?